The NHS/Healthcare Programme offers young people an insight into health-related careers through first hand experience in a healthcare environment, whilst developing key skills that employers need.
The programme is delivered with support from Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Barnsley Healthcare Federation, Rotherham Hospital Foundation and Doncaster Skills Academy.
For example, the programme supported by Sheffield Teaching Hospitals includes:
- An induction treasure hunt
- A full day looking at the patient’s journey and skills needed for the healthcare sector
- A series of twilight events focused on:
- Mental health
- Preparation for work placement
- Medical experience – a simulation activity
- Medical experience – taking a patient’s history and scrubbing up for theatre
- Practical experience – health scenarios and assessment stations
- Work placement in a hospital
- Final presentation
The programme has led to a number of students progressing into apprenticeships in Sheffield Teaching Hospitals.